View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #27
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
It's hard to believe that one will be 9.7 the other will be 10.2. I think it will be still a screen produced by PVI, we don't know the actual specs yet.

Why would you put effort in developing a 10.2 inch screen when PVI is also developing a 9.7, this doesn't make sense to me, but I can be wrong as well, let's see on monday.
Keep in mind that PVI builds the screens, they don't create the parts that are used to build it. Most screens today that are built by PVI use a eInk layer from Eink Corp, and a display controller developed by iRex. Even the Kindle/Sony (at least the 500), and others are using the 6" display controller that was developed by iRex.

iRex not only developed the 6" controller, but they also developed the unique 8.1" controller that the iLiads use. They had a deal that they were the only ones who could have PVI build them a screen using that controller. That's also why the iLiad is the only device with 16 shades. It's controlled by their unique display controller.

I don't know the details on the 9.7 and 10.2 controllers, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that something similar is going on. IE, iRex has created a unique 10.2 controller (in addition to the generic 9.7 one) that can only be used by PVI to build displays for the new iRex 1000 device.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote