View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #64
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Do you mean "all" at once. i.e. Search every file you have or have access to with one command?
PaaThaka's talking about more than browsing, recognizing and opening pdf files -- otherwise, creating hierarchical menus and changing iPad's file associations would be enough. I believe paaThaka's referring to citation and other content searches within applications like Mendeley or Papers.

If I'm not mistaken, paaThaka means this sort of organization for files on an external drive (and note that Mendeley has its own folder and group organization window, automation, tasks and limitations):*

http://blog.mendeley.com/tipstricks/...earch-library/

and these kinds of searches:

http://blog.mendeley.com/tipstricks/...part-10-of-12/

Since I don't own an iPad and haven't used Mendeley for iOS, I'm not certain why it would be unable to index and search pdf files on an external NAS drive.

I do find it disturbing that one could run out of space so easily for storing thousands of pdf files of academic papers on an iPad, though -- especially if writing papers is one's main reason for owning a tablet. Pdfs tend to take up far less space than multimedia files or even mp3s.

================
* "Seriously, we love librarians at Mendeley, but if you’re a researcher and you’ve got a system for organizing your PDFs on your hard drive that’s more complex than the Library of Congress classification system, chances are you’ve either missed your calling or you’ve spent a great deal of time on organization schemes that you would rather have spent doing actual research. Mendeley Desktop has a flexible system of folders and groups designed to make it easy to organize your documents with minimal effort." ("Organization without aggravation: Quick tips for managing your research library," Mendeley Blog, August 11, 2011.)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-11-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote