View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I don't agree. At one time it was broken, then fixed, and now it is broken again.
It isn't clear to me what was (or is) broken, but this:
Quote:
I just have to go to preferences and point calibre to whichever library I want.

I just noticed, however, if one switches back and forth between libraries, the columns selected change (again). Rebooting doesn't completely fix it. I'll report it as a bug.
does not seem to me to be a bug.

To be clear, there are four distinct parts to a calibre installation. They are:
  • Program Files
  • Library Files
  • Config Files
  • Metadata database

Each of these can be in a different location (although the Library and Metadata database are usually in the same location). If you do as you posted and "go to preferences and point calibre to whichever library I want" you are only changing the combined Library/Metadata location, not the Config. Anything you set in the config will apply to both libraries, so there will be lots of overlap.

If you want to change everything when you change libraries, so they are entirely independent, then you need to change the Config directory at the same time you change the Library/Metadata directory.

You can do that by logging in as a new user, or by using an environment variable (SET CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY) and a batch file.

Search for itimpi's "CalibreRun (network).bat" file to see an example of how to completely isolate two libraries and independently control the location of all four parts of Calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote