Thread: Book Titles
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
I've searched the forum but can't find an answer to this question:

When using files such as from Project Gutenberg or from the BlackMask DVD, the file names are very cryptic and not of any help to know what the book is inside. When these files are loaded on the Reader, will the reader show the file name or does it somehow extract the title from inside the file?

I have downloaded a couple of utilities which I've seen suggested on this forum and when saving from them, the title field is one option to fill in.

I can't see trying to find my way through a bunch of "1ddc809a.txt" sorts of listings in the reader Contents, but then again I can't see going through 20,000 PG book .txt files and renaming them.
If you use text files, the "title" listed by the Reader is the first line of text in the file; the "author" is the file date. If you use RTF or LRF, the title and author are "embedded" in the file and the Reader uses them - the file name is irrelevent in that case. I don't know about PDF - it's not a format I like or use.

With PG text files, your best bet is to save as RTF, and use Word's "File/Properties" menu to set the author and title. There's a great Word macro on the forum Wiki which does all the work for you. No need to do all your 20,000 PG files at once - just do them one at a time as you load them onto the Reader to read them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote