View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Another reason 'sharing' may not be as big an issue...

My sister and I are both gadget freaks and record-keepers. In celebration of her new iPod Touch, I sent her a list of the books I have bought from Fictionwise, telling her that if she wanted me to gift her one, (FW makes this very easy) I would. She in turn sent me a list of her books. And the result?

Sister thinks I buy far too much sci-fi (I feel I am more a mystery fan, but the recent binge on sale-priced Star Trek books has perhaps skewed the results) and is not sure how much of my 'reading material' she would care for. Out of the 200+ books on my list, there were perhaps half a dozen which interested her.

I of course was deeply offended by her diss of my reading habits. She seems to favour the hard-core weirdo romance genre and there was one book on her list (which was part of a series!) whose plot involved a woman going to a resort designed for hooking people up who want to have casual sex with vampires, werewolves and the like. So I really don't feel that someone like her is in the position to be lecturing me on literary taste :P Also, she buys too many short stories so I feel like her list would not have enough to keep me properly occupied.

So, out of the almost 500 books we have bought between us, maybe a dozen seem to be of mutual interest. Sharing is such a big threat? Not in my family!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote