View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
No discussions of the book as a book.
My reading log shows that I finished it on October 21, 2006. I recall reading it because one of my children was assigned it in high school, but I can't recall anything else about it. It just wasn't that memorable. Maybe that's because of the short length, but I think it's more because her characters didn't seem real to me.

Years earlier (not sure quite when, as it was before I started my book log) I read Nathaniel Branden's My Years with Ayn Rand. The real Ayn Rand is, for me, more interesting than her characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Ideas aren't politics. If they are, we have become what Rand warned us against.
She warned us against lots of things. She warned us against the Bolsheviks. She warned us against Nathaniel Branden. She warned us against unemployment insurance. She warned us against The Best Years of Our Lives. Some of her warnings, like the first one, I actually agree with. What I don't agree with is setting up someone as an intellectual hero whose warnings are to be taken as a standard of what's right and wrong.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote