View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #142
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Corridors of Death: A Robert Amiss/Baronness Jack Troutback Mystery #1 by Ruth Dudley Edwards $.99 at Amazon and B&N.
This is also a great series, although completely different than the Chisholm historicals.

Edwards, who also has a distinguished career as a journalist, has a really wicked sly dry wit. Although I may not always agree with her (or her characters') politics, her skewer is always sharp and accurately placed...so I can't help laughing, even if sometimes disagreeing.

She tackles a bunch of cherished (or maybe not so cherished) institutions, ranging from the UK civil service, to a book prize award committee, to an American university, and comes out ahead every time.

Some of the books do take a bit of understanding of how things work in the UK, and I'm sure that as an American, I've missed a few darts, but even so, these are great books. The first one is well worth the try at low price, or maybe even free soon.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote