View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
duncann
duncann began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorsi View Post
Sorry for the silly question, but how do you actually change the font? I know you say "edit the stylesheet", but how exactly are you doing this? I see on calibre there is an option "tweak epub" if you right-click on a specific book, which then breaks the epub up and I see a .css file. Is this what you are talking about? When I opened it up I see a bunch of instances where it says Calibre, with formatting after. Sorry just so confused as to how to do this and I can not seem to find any guides explaining the process. Thank you
Yea, that's the file I'm editing. I don't have any custom firmware on my reader so I do the other method of changing fonts. If you search the forum, you can find how to do this; there's lots of post about it. Keep in mind that changing fonts this way only works on epubs without drm.

I go a bit further than just putting information in the extra css box in Calibre though. I find that a lot of epubs (even purchased from a publisher) are formatted quite badly. So I usually end up editing the html files along with the style sheet. The programs I use are Ultraedit (very useful for editing html and css code), Reader Library (to get the closest approximation of how it will look on the reader without actually putting it on the reader), Calibre (for fixing quotes -- making them smart quotes -- and hyphens, and for metadata info), rarely Sigil, 7zip, and xyplorer (file manager). All this takes some effort but I can usually get the book to look exactly how I want it.

As far as knowledge about css and html, I really only have a very basic understanding, gleaned from searching the internet. It's really not that difficult, but to me the time spent is worth it because I can tailor my reading experience to exactly how I want it.
duncann is offline   Reply With Quote