View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #34
jasontaylor7
Blacklisted
jasontaylor7 began at the beginning.

Device: palm pixi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
As PeterT has already pointed out Tabs and indents are two different things.
Here, indentation is spaces, tabs, indents, etc. It is generally done for the same purposes, in 95% (not 100%) of paragraphs. A good program would correctly convert tabs into indents, when appropriate. Calibre doesn't do that, at least for many file types, especially rtf files. Don't take my word for it. There are over 100 threads on various boards about the problem calibre has with maintaining formatting and indentation more specifically. Several sites clearly state that calibre-generated output will be rejected.

Also, if someone invents a new format, they do it for a reason. Typically, they want to do some thing a different way. Therefore, no two unique formats are identical. That's sort of obvious, actually.

Anyway, for this and other reasons, there are "degeneracies" in the myriad ebook formats. In other words, one format might achieve a result using two different methods. In converting from one format to another, software programs need to be smart about guessing what potential equivalents are most suitable.

Look, that wasn't a fly by night post. I had imed the author. He didn't respond. He doesn't seem to care. These posts here? I'm guessing you guys want to trash my reputation. That's fine. But I'd like to point out to anyone reading carefully, that you're right --- there's no good logic to these posts, aside from that end goal. Yes, there are workarounds. Using Sigil, avoiding rtf, using document-specific css inserts, etc. are all doable. Are workarounds good? Everyone but me and A Lurker seem to think so. IMO? No, they clues of a problem in software program.

Also. Things can always be improved. Please don't get in the way of that by pretending things are already perfect. For this reason, I ask that you treat this post differently from my others. (And don't delete it.)

VR,
Jason
jasontaylor7 is offline   Reply With Quote