View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #93
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
No, it was nothing Carnegie. More likely some passage in the Carnegie influenced the writer of it. Nor a self-help book. It was nothing that has ever been a "popularly" read management book. It wasn't "original thought", it was just well written and easily understood, some concepts tied together "originally" if you will - and therefore valuable.

Just a simple explanation of the effects of rewarding poor behavior, reasons to only reward good behavior, quite a lot of clear commentary about the types of rewards most people are really after, which is to say - everyone isn't after the big buck, people are different and there are 7 or 8 common things that one of which is probably most people's main concern and -- often much easier for a supervisor to provide than money - and that if you don't give these things to people exhibiting poor behavior, then they will mean something to the ones performing their jobs in an exemplary manner. If you rigorously NEVER give them to people exhibiting poor behavior. That's one of the important parts. Let nothing slide. It was one of those "oh, doh.." moments for a technoweenie that upper management thought was a great manager but had just been getting along on his instincts rather than any real training.

It was just some book sent by the AMA bookclub (American Management Assoc) in the mid 80's. Geez, I had my hands on it a few months ago. heh, It obviously sunk in.. I just can't remember the name of it. I just wanted to share it in the hopes it might help someone else. All that management experience isn't helping me find a job heh because I don't and never really wanted to be a manager. I was tempted by the big buck myself for 25 years and now I'm old enough to just want to do something gruntlike (but only very well) and be judged by only my own performance.

Thanks though.

Last edited by wayspooled; 10-04-2009 at 12:01 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote