View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #347
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
fantasyfan, I'll have to get that Alice. I don't normally care for dramatized but I've been wanting to give Alice a read or listen and I have gotten a few good ones from Librivox. I listened to good readings of The Day Boy and The Night Girl, The Light Princess, Wind in the Willows, and Anne of Green Gables from LV.

I had a hard time finding this thread again for some reason (I found the reason. I'm an idiot and was looking at the regular rather than the pinned threads for it). Anyway, I have listened to a couple of enjoyable audiobooks recently.

One of these was Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Deadly Virus by Bill Wasik and Monica Murphy. I actually like non-fiction, if it is interesting like this one, better than fiction in audio format. Huzzah for the People's Scientist Louis Pasteur!

I also listened to Jepp, Defied the Stars by Katherine Marsh. This was a fine historical fiction. Not challenging, compared to my recent reads Cloud Atlas and The Twelve, but not brainless by any means. I quite enjoyed it. It had a richly detailed setting and well-fleshed-out characters. The reader did a very good job as well.

I got On the Beach by Nevil Shute with an Audible credit. I wanted to get the story of this granddaddy of post-apocalyptic literature. I enjoyed it. That is how I would hope people would act in that situation, basically keeping calm and living life until the end. Of course, I'm pretty sure it would be rioting and cracking open neighbor's skulls to feast on the goo inside if this actually happened (at least here in the U.S.).

Right now I'm listening to Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I love it (so far)! I was lucky enough to get it (and the above-mentioned audios) on Overdrive from my public library. I love the old man who speaks to cats. I would have gotten this one in a text format if I had paid for it so I could go back and linger over different passages and see how you spell some of these Japanese names.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 11-16-2012 at 10:16 AM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote