View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
EBay to buy Skype

According to TheInquirer Ebay has just confirmed the acquisition, for $2.6 billion in cash and stock. USA Today reports that EBay said "The total value of the deal may climb to $4.1 billion based on whether Skype meets a series of performance targets over the next three years" and "the acquisition of privately held Skype will create 'an unparalleled e-commerce and communications engine' for Internet users worldwide."

Forbes is reporting that Deutsche Bank Securities noted "Skype has about 53 million active users globally of its free peer-to-peer product, but far fewer paying customers. An eBay deal could push Skype's free service as a tool for auction customers, and then aggressively push fee-based calling and other existing services..."

This would certainly be an interesting communications tool for EBay, but I wonder if they don't have other ideas. Personally, I don't think I would want to talk with other EBay customers or sellers by Skype call, but maybe not so bad when you don't need external microphones and speakers, so I will keep an open mind.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote