View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
Thanks for the input, jswinden, I was ready to throw down the cash yesterday on the 900, though I have since decided to wait a little bit.

I had a chance to go to the Sony Style store and spend about 45 minutes with the three different PRS models. I took off my glasses and was able to read on the smallest font setting on all three models (at a comfortable reading distance, not right on my nose), that is impressive as my eyes are terrible. Overall I was very impressed with all of the models. I cannot imagine buying a 300, it is a wonderful device, but the screen is very small. The 600 was great but the screen still seemed a little small. The 900 was really nice and I would love to have brought it home with me... ...but

I have lingering questions as to what I really want out of the reader and I know there are other models out there and I want to make sure I am happy with what I purchase. The only gripe I have about the 900 is... wait for it. The contrast is a little off. I imagine I can deal with the glare, that isn't such a bad thing, but I played with the nook over the last weekend and was impressed with the upper screen. It was very crisp and clear with what I thought was very good contrast. However, the nook has its own issues that will need to be dealt with before I buy one of them. I also heard that there were two more models of nook's as well as a new kindle and the Acer LumiRead coming out and that made me pause and say: "maybe I should wait to see what is coming so I can make a well informed decision"

For the record, I am super excited to get one, I guess I am just nervous. Also, I read a bunch of technical books for software development that seem to end up as paper weights around the house after a new version of whatever language I am reading about and working with is released. That was the driving force for me, and my wife was like: "Finally, a way to get rid of these books" I usually have backup pdf versions of my tech books which I keep both at work and at home in case I don't feel like pulling out the actual book. I have registered a bunch of the books at O'Reilly and I am looking to pick a bunch of them and purchase the ePub version so I don't have issues with reflow... but I won't be able to get ePub versions of all of the pdf's that I have and that is one of the deciding factors for me. I did see a video review of some eReader where the reviewer was saying that whatever device she was playing with didn't have as good of a capability to reflow as Sony. I did find that interesting.

I am thinking about putting some pdfs on an SD card and trying them out at the Sony Style store to see how well they do.

Last edited by kdittyr; 06-15-2010 at 06:08 PM.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote