Thread: Barsoom
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
The original Barsoom Harry posted is awesome. No need to do another.
There is if you prefer to read them in something other than MobiReader. (I use Plucker, and convert HTML for it.)

Harry's work is splendid and a valuable service, but one size doesn't fit all.

Quote:
I am reading it (Interspersed with a million other books I'm reading. almost done with His Dark Materials now) and its great. I just finished Chessman of Mars.

Burroughs had a HUGE vocabulary and loved to use it lavishly. Its delightfully Anachronistic.
If you want anachronistic, may I suggest E.R. Eddison's _The Worm Ouroborous_? Eddison was a Victorian gentleman who wrote genuine Elizabethan prose. Once you get used to it, it goes down like fine cognac.

It's fantasy: on the planet Mercury, the Lords Juss, Spitfire, Brandoch Daha, and Goldry Bluzco, rulers of Demonland, must contend with the evil sorcerer king Gorice of Witchland, who seeks to conquer the world. In the end, things come full circle, and the worm consumes his tail...

It's available in a number of formats including Mobi here:
http://www.munseys.com/book/7309/Worm_Ouroboros,_The
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote