View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #35
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
This optware stuff is much more complicated on the newer kindles for a number of reasons. I am having my own trouble trying to figure out what works and what does not work, finding workarounds for the things that do not work. For example, on the Kindle 4 (Non Touch), the busybox that is installed on the main root partition contains a wget command that does not work with optware ipkg, and the instructions given earlier in this thread do not seem to work on these new kindles. I found a difficult and risky workaround, but I tried to provide a simpler way using optware tools instead of busybox tools in my earlier posts to this thread. Despite a lot of effort, I did not make myself transparently clear, and truthfully, I do not yet know HOW to make myself clear to beginners in this somewhat risky and "not yet fully understood even by experienced developers" kind of endeavor. I hope things get easier in the future as this stuff becomes better understood.

Besides experiencing compatibility issues between busybox and optware, the kindle touch has a big problem with doing optware stuff when the kindle GUI framework is running, which seems to be caused by "out of memory" issues when trying to do anything useful in the optware environment. This stuff all works great on a kindle 3, but that experience does not translate well to newer kindles (at least not in my personal experience so far).

It is hard enough just trying to understand how to make it all work reliably in the newer kindles. It is much harder to help somebody else learn it when I am still having my own problems getting it to work correctly.

I will try to document it when I understand it better. Other developers who understand this stuff better are very busy "developing", so may not answer questions posted here in a short amount of time. Developers can get busy and disappear from these forums for days at a time. Please be patient and do not "press random keys". Remember that on the new kindles this is considered "developer mode" and even a lot of experienced developers have been bricking their kindles, rendering them useless until they figure out how to repair the damage.

Therefore, do not blindly try stuff thinking that nobody will help you. Instead read as much as you can find about it, so that when a developer DOES get back to you they can help you without getting sucked in too deeply trying to explain themselves to you so it can be understood correctly. PLEASE do not do anything to make your situation worse while waiting for an answer. If the thread with your request gets buried behind other updated threads, you can occasionally "bump" it by adding a new reply to the bottom. If you have nothing new to add to the discussion, just say "bump" in the message.

Thank you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-26-2016 at 09:39 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote