View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't consider Engadget a reliable source, period....

Like others mentioned, the Kindle is an eInk device and the NC and iPad are LCD devices. Also the Kindle uses MOBI format and thus inline images are not displayed as well they would be in an ePub. So that is another unfair comparison.

The way I look at it, for the price of the least expensive iPad at $500, I was able to purchase both a NC ($250) and a Sony PRS-950 ($250). I've got the best of both worlds with these two, as far as reading goes. The iPad never appealed to me because of it's size/weight and the very limited iOS4 and the lack of standard ports and SD card slots. The iPad screen is not very good for reading IMO. You get the same resolution in a smaller package with the NC which translates into more pixels per inch and less distance between pixels, which makes it easier on the eyes. Apple can keep their proprietary iPad. As far as loading and sideloading books and documents, both the NC and the 950 are easy to load up right out of the box whereas you have to jump through hoops with the iPad.

Now IF Apple would introduce a 7" iPad with a more powerful and useful OS and charge $250, they might get my attention. But we all know that won't happen. I view the iPad as little more than a toy. It is NOT a dedicated reader like the Kindles, Sonys, and Nooks. It does a lot of things, but does not do well the things that are of interest to me. If you want to play, get an iPad. If you want to read, get a dedicated reader or a printed book.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-20-2010 at 12:01 PM.