View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
... which probably goes back to the Librie/Reader being dedicated e-book devices with less potential hardware capabilities than the iLiad.
I suspect my irritation with the iLiad goes to one basic issue: I really don't believe the iRex developers actually use them to read in their personal lives.

I believe the Sony developers, both Librie and Reader, actually use the devices in their personal lives.

The Sony units are polished devices with the little features that keep the device from being as irritating as the iLiad is as a book reader. My irritation with the unit was low until recently since I spent most of my time swapping units with iRex to get a working unit. Now that I've been using it actively: constant irritation.

The UI is not polished, obvious and useful features are missing, it has at most one useful configuration option of sound on/off (it is horribly inflexible to your needs) and I'm always worried about the battery going flat.

The word that summarizes the unit to me: arrogance.

Why can't I adjust the page bar to flip the other way? Every time I flip a page with it I wish I could configure it to flip the other way to go forwards. Constant cognitive dissonance at a very basic level. A very easily solved issue, configuration feature: page bar advance page flip [] left [x] right

How many meetings are folks at iRex taking notes on a device where you can't even calibrate the stylus to line up with where you are marking on the screen? I figure that answer is fairly obvious: zero.

I am upset with Sony on one issue though. If you've got a customer willing to spend $112 for expedited shipping and another one not willing to, you ship one of the limited availability units to the customer willing to spend $112 USD.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote