View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 03:57 AM   #3
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Interesting about the Mobipocket reader, I hadn't thought about that...

Well, the way things seem to work on the iLiad, button press interrupts are dealt with on a low level (kernel driver, probably) and converted to more conventional keypress signals, which are then picked up by another low-level program (I thought an X11 driver, but now I think the ContentLister) and passed to the window manager, which passes it to programs like iPDF and FBReader.

Ultimately, many of the buttons are seen by applications as normal keyboard keys. For example, the "escape" button, to iPDF or FBReader, looks like F5. A forward pageflip looks like PgUp, back pageflip looks like PgDn, etc. Interestingly, a LONG forward pageflip isn't simply a long-held PgUp, but instead generates a F1. Similarly, the long backward pageflip generates an F2. Somewhere I have a list of the keyboard keys associated with each button action, and it's always a different key for short and long. This is how the buttons are seen at the GTK level within the window manager in X windows.

The problem is, that the "books", "news", etc. buttons do NOT generate any keyboard key press visible to a regular application. So my question was, what DO they do, and where are those signals handled? The answer seems to be that the ContentLister takes care of interpreting button presses, but it only translates some into keyboard key press events for the Xserver / window manager. The "books" etc. buttons are intercepted and never get sent to the X server / window manager at all.

At least, that's my theory at the moment...
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote