View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #339
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crissman View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone would have some suggestions for me. I am new plugboards column management. I have been reading and trying various different ideas others have posted, but haven't found exactly what I am looking for. ... Thanks and sorry for the long winded post. Just trying to give all the information I can first off.

Crissman
Crissman,

Details are always important when asking for help. I am WAAAAAY more long winded than you were. So don't worry.

I threw in a query about series 'shortening' back in post #52 in this thread. And that brought Chaley into the discussion two posts later. And if you read the thread from there, you will get what you are looking for, I promise. There's a bunch of columns you have to create to make his suggestions work for you. But they are clearly outlined instruction-wise, with the only warning I have to COPY and PASTE from the examples, since there is a space that is required that can be missed when typing.

My own version of Chaley's hard work is:

[{#readrank:ifempty(9)}{#genre:ifempty(SF) {#stripped_series:lookup(.\s,#initials,.,#shortene d,series)}{series_index:|-|-}{title}

You won't need readrank, that's my estimation on how quickly I want to read the book, with 0 being NOW and 9 being when prodded into doing it by others. I also have a genre field which is my SINGLE selection of the various possible tags. Something like 0MY or 1SF to start my onKindle title. My shortened series field is a product of another Chaley suggestion to test for series length, and if TOO long, reduce it to just initials. So Game of Thrones becomes GoT. My titles are started with a controllable indicator of series and number, or nothing if not standalone, and then the title.

NONE of the work is mine, so I ask you review Chaley's responses in the thread starting with #54. After that, you'll feel like a calibre programmer.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote