Thread: WPA fix
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 AM   #38
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
sorry to hear about your hassles with the iLiad, i once also had it go into an endless reboot cycle
- was not fun, i recommend you have the unbrick package installed if you dont already (sets up ethernet and ssh on startup)

hmm, your output looked very promising

in particular it would appear you got your ip from dhcp, and

just a couple of things that didnt make sense to me:
(i suspect you solved, as you got futher anyway)
a) "iwconfig wlan0 essid "myssid""
myssid should have been substituted with your network name
e.g.
iwconfig wlan0 essid myhomewifilan

b) "192.164.1.104 is the static DNS I attributed to the iLiad "
i assume this is a typo, and you mean is a static IP , and that you mean that you have assigned to the iLiad within the router setup
im also slightly confused as you said this was assigned to the iLiad wired mac address, which as dirk said is different to eth0.

what seems odd here, is that wlan is using dhcp, and assigned 104, yet you said you 'reserved' this for static ip on ethernet

btw, the wlan may still not have worked if you had eth0 plugged in, due to routing not being set up, but that was not really aim - it was more to see if dhcp was connecting you to network which it appeared to.

btw2, on my router i can list which clients are connected to it, and iliad will show up, and also shows ip router assigned to it (even if it disconnects afterwards)

anyways as i said at start, the ifconfig output looks very promising, and suggests the following:
i) your iliad is connecting to router/wifi ok
ii) its ok with dhcp

so i think problems could be:
a) ip conflict (however usually this works, just gives 'bad' performance, any only applies if eth0 is also plugged in)
as mentioned above, think its worth checking
i) on your router, what MAC address have you assiged to 104?
ii) you could try explicity assign an IP address to MAC of wlan0
iii) and/or check that your router is assigning (automatic) wifi addresses from a different range to wired AND that its outside the range you have assigned static addresses to
e.g i usually use 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.50 for static/reservered up, and 192.168.0.100 - 110 for the 'wifi pool'

b) routing setup - DNS and default gateway

ps. the annoying thing about the default scripts, is if they detect any errors, they bring the whole interface down again, hence why you had to type the steps manually

good luck, i know how frustrating this is ... esp. when you can see it working on another router/with other computers
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote