View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #85
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
[...]No, I don't expect to make money just because I write. (How little people seem to think of me...) I expected to sell books because my books are well-written and produced in high quality, are low-priced, and have been highly rated on books outlets and blogs; and I expected that those qualities would generate buzz and word of mouth enough to sell them at a reasonable rate, instead of falling through the black hole where they reside now.
It's not that I think poorly of you, my phrase was: "Where I believe you are mistaken is in believing that such income will happen just because you've written the book and put in the hard years. Artistic endeavour doesn't seem to work like that." That last sentence was the important part - writing fiction is an artistic endeavour. You have obviously put in the work, I don't doubt you produce quality, but is it what people want to read right now? Is it striking a chord with those that do read it? With art, quality and success do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. Quality is just one factor among many, and many of the factors you have no control over.

Time may see you gain more success, particularly if you keep producing new books, you shouldn't stop trying - not, at least, if you have other reasons for writing besides money - but it's never going to be a certainty. Writing fiction is never going to be a "I've done this so now I get that" sort of job (which is pretty much the point I've been trying to get across all along).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote