View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by triviadave View Post
I have just watched a video review of the new Cool-er reader on the Telegraph website (www.telegraph.co.uk), and I have to say it is one of the worst reviews I have ever seen. It is reviewing a device for British consumers and compares it with only two devices, the iRex Iliad and the Kindle, one which is far higher specced (and priced) than the item being reviewed, and the other not being available in the UK, the review doesn't mention useability or even the diret competition to the Cool-er, i.e. the Sony PRS-505, the BeBook or any other similar readers out there.
I have looked on the Telegraph website for somewhere to leave feedback for them, but failed to find anything, but thought I would warn people of the review and also ask if anyone else has seen a particularly bad, ill-informed or otherwise useless review of an ebook reader. I have been looking to buy a reader for some time, but now find myself not knowing whether I can trust so called "professional" reviews.
Conversely, if anyone knows of any particularly good reviews of any readers (ideally available in the UK, or importable without loosing functionality) I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Dave
As with movie reviews, if the critic slamms the movie I tend to go and see it as they get it 99% wrong (for my taste) - or are probably paid to either promote or demote a particular movie. The NYT review seems very slanted, and the Telegraph review is bollocks.

Going on this logic, I should order the Cool-er because I'll probably love it

But seriously, the iPod rip-off design is appealing, even though the round button is not really an iPod spin-wheel control. But still, the reader is relatively cheap, looks nice (choice of colours, iPod look, etc.) and handles the basic formats for me (ePub, TXT, FB2) - although I would really like a Mobi reader included but perhaps that will come later.

What I would like to see posted is someone's review who's actually bought one or has had the use of one to really see how a reader finds the device. Still waiting...
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote