View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #485
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex_daemon View Post
Sorry for not proving sufficient details.
It's a k3 wifi device.
I've made a level shifter as described here :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1897643
and I am using it with a nokia DKU-5 usb-serial converter (it's the PL2303).
Sorry for misusing the sdcard. I've ment the internal flash, of course.
I don't have a scope here to check why isn't the transmit part working, but I might bring it to work to check it.
Meanwhile, I've installed the custom kernel from here :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175602
and did manage to connect with a serial over usb console.
The problem is that this happens right at the begiining, before any blocks being mounted.
Once i issue the start of the kindle os, as described also there, I can't do much of a thing.
This would be useful after the kindle has booted to have at least the partitions mounted.

You say that if i fill with 0s those memory areas, the kindle will build it's partitions ?
I could try that. I will try to create an img filled with 0s and then flash it with k3flasher from the right address.. that might do the trick, i hope..

I don't want to give up on fixing it
I've already changed a display for it and bought all the parts for the serial cable, so a new one might have been cheaper
So any ideas are highly appreciated.
Ah, phooey - - "I installed the custom kernel ...."

Sorry, I never dug into that custom kernel to see what, if any, changes where made to its initramfs system (the one responsible for re-building /var/local (mmcblk0p3) and /mnt/usr (mmcblk0p4) file systems).

So all I can say is: A stock kernel will detect and rebuild...
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote