View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
pomlover
pomlover began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
This lockup problem is brutal!

Hi all,

I'm suffering badly from the lost bookmarks and history via lockup problem too. Now I'm loathe to read multiple books and to insert multiple bookmarks - a real pain in the ass that should be unacceptable to the SONY brass. I only keep 2 books open now and I physically write down the bookmark page nums before I make the "adventurous" hookup.

I've tried these things:
1) Don't launch the e-book library pc SW, turn the reader on, hookup the USB cable
2) Launch the e-book library pc SW, turn the reader off, hookup the USB cable
3) Launch the e-book library pc SW, turn the reader on, hookup the USB cable

Nada - still have the damn problem. I think the real problem is with the 505 firmware. It should never lose the bookmark/history info even if the e-book library SW locks up.

Next, I'm gonna try disabling the auto-synch feature in the reader. Maybe that's the root cause of the problem. When you hook the two damn things together, if you have e-reader auto-synch turned on, maybe the history/bookmarks get hosed during the protocol exchange dance that the reader and e-book library perform together on startup. By turning that feature off, I think it may make the interface xchange simpler. If the bug is somewhere in the code (on either side) that implements the auto-synch protocol, maybe the buggy SW fragments will be "bypassed". Being a software engineer, I've learned (the hard way multiple times) over the years that most problems in systems (both human and inanimate) manifest themselves at the interface. It's all about the communication - stupid!
pomlover is offline   Reply With Quote