View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #18
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Truth be told, I've bought more than one ebook as AZW (Kindle format) that came with certain formatting/TOC/chapter marker issues; wherein my best method of fixing it was to convert from AZW to ePUB, fix said issues in Sigil (which was amazingly simple) and convert ePUB to MOBI.
That is, IMHO, one of the reasons i don't like mobi. With a crappy mobi, you have to convert to someting else, fix it, then reconvert to Mobi.
With ePub, open with sigil, fix, and you're done.

And overall, i've seen less crapy ePub than crappy mobi. Though fixing the margins is an almost "must do" with ePub.

Quote:
I admit that my experience with Calibre is very limited, and the last time I used it was about 2 years ago, so I assume things have changed since then. Many of you here have said that converting ePub to AZW isn't as problematic as I have thought, so that definitely did something to reassure me.
Basicly, it's clean in , clean out. Garbage in, garbage out. If you have a well formated ePub, will work. In my case the ePub had large margins, that repercuted on the mobi.
The other point is if you have some "advenced" fomating.

Quote:
1. How does it's screen perform in low lighting? I've been reading ebooks on LCD displays for a decade, I'm used to backlight, however dim, so I don't know what to expect from an e-ink screen.
Like a paper book. No light, no can see.

Quote:
2. How scratch-resistant is Kindle? Do I need to buy a screen protector and a cover for it?
Cover, definitivly. E-ink screens are prone to breakage. As to the screen protector, i never managed to scratch any of my reader's screen.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-12-2011 at 11:41 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote