View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Good for them. I just this week moved P&W over to XP from Win2k (along with desktop upgrades), simply because Win2k has finally gone EOL. The whole, happy little family of Linux servers, Mac design stations, and Win2k boxes was running just dandy. I would have preferred to leave it that way.
My former employer finally upgraded everyone to XP Pro and Office 2003, from a hodge-podge of machines running Win98, WinNT Workstation, and Win2K, with Office 97 and Office 2000. They'd been wanting to do it for some time, but couldn't get the funding from corporate under the previous ownership. When the company changed hands, the new owners were more sensible. While it required some long days and a weekend or too, I was all in favor. The old mess was a major pain to support.

I doubt they will move to Vista until a gun is pointed at their heads.

Quote:
Interestingly, two of my Win desktop suppliers have sent me deadlines already, after which they will no longer sell systems pre-loaded with XP. The timing of that and Microsoft's downgrade offer seems interesting.
Microsoft would like to migrate everyone to Vista, to maintain the revenue stream, and at some point could simply refuse to sell new XP licenses to OEMs.

We may see differences depending on vendor. For instance, Dell is the biggest corporate supplier. If Dell says "Our corporate customers don't want Vista. They want XP.", Microsoft is going to be hesitant about refusing to sell Dell additional XP licenses. A smaller manufacturer will have less clout and less options.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote