View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #52
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
It's a very one sided business arrangement.
Since amazon promoted this type of arrangement to their affiliates as a means of monetizing their affiliate accounts, it is obviously one that they approve of, and continue to approve of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
It's a very one sided business arrangement.
Either this is going to affect a large number of affiliates, or it's not. If it's not, then it's not going to affect a large number of affialtes. If it is, then there are a large number of affiliates who are responsible for 20,000+ free downloads per month and that represents over 80% of the total traffic from them. Each. Bandwidth isn't free, not the way Amazon does it, and not in that kind of quantity. There are signficant costs. And at a certain point, it is charity on their part.
I doubt it will affect a large number of affiliates. I think it WILL affect a large number of kindle focused affiliates.

Bandwidth isn't free.....speaking as someone who buys about 500GB a month of bandwidth from Amazon, which it is safe to assume they make a profit on, I can speak to the "cost" of bandwidth.

Amazon charges me roughly 10c per gigabyte. A gigabyte is about equivalent to anywhere from 2000 to 3000 books on average.

So for the traffic to send those books, if I was being charged for them, 20,000 books would be, at most, around 10GB, which would have cost me $1 to buy that bandwidth from Amazon.

Sorry, but I don't buy that this has ANYTHING at all to do with the cost of sending those books. The vast majority of kindles out are not 3G, but even for 3g traffic, the most they would pay is about a penny each, as I can buy retail side traffic by the MG for 2c/MB at very low quantity points. So I still don't buy that, I think if it was 3G traffic Amazon was concerned about, there were easier ways to go about limiting that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Link, please.
Emails from Amazon customer service seeking clarifications. Everyone who has done so has gotten a consistent reply, we've been sharing info on the affiliate forums.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote