View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
But ... but.

Why do you need "page" numbers in the first place? It's only one way of indicating your location within the book. It is the way that people are most comfortable with as they are transitioning from paper books to electronic books.

But, on the Sony, page numbers aren't absolute. On the Kindle, the locations are absolute. So, it's going to be much easier for me to tell a fellow Kindle user that the text I found of interest is at location 210 than it would be for me to tell a fellow Sony user that the text is on page 13. And, since neither have any relationship to the page numbers in the paper books ...

I find that the location numbers in my Kindle aren't the least bit off-putting. It would be nice if the Kindle's running footer would say "Locations 2041-47 of 4577", but the progress indicator is good to let me know if I'm in the beginnning, middle, or end of the book. And just a couple of button presses will show me the highest location number in the book and then I know more precisely how close I am to the end of the book.

It's just not a problem.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote