View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Alternative to removing DRM from Kindle NY Times

(This thread is in response to a similarly titled closed thread below, but this doesn't talk of anything illegal.)

An alternative that does not require removing DRM is to get the smartphone digital subscription at approximately the same price, and then have Calibre assemble your daily NY Times for the Kindle. You can set up Calibre for automatic daily delivery over Wi-Fi when your PC is running Calibre.

Advantages:
- You can get the NY Times app on your smartphone.
- You can also read the NY Times from their automatic daily emails.
- You can read all the articles on their website (probably a better way to consume on a PC or tablet), or transfer the Calibre version like you said you wanted to.

Disadvantages:
- No delivery over 3G (not a problem of you don't have a 3G Kindle).
- Will miss issues if you don't start Calibre that day.

I've compared Calibre's version with the Kindle version last year, and they differed only in a few articles, which was explained by the different times of assembly.

The above is what I do. I have the automatic delivery go to my Fire because it's much faster skimming through the newspaper than on my K3. (It's the main reason I bought the Fire, as automatic Calibre delivery requires an actual Amazon Kindle because it uses Amazon's free.Kindle.com email address.)

Last edited by jj2me; 09-23-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added smartphone NY Times app
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote