Thread: Aura HD Kobo Aura HD
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #567
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Haven't finished the thread, so don't know if someone's addressed this, but you wouldn't have to convert epubs bought from kobo to kepubs....just download the kepub version for any epubs you have, if you prefer that style. Obviously not the case with books bought from amazon...those you need to convert to epub (or use the plugin to make them behave like kepub)...so not really more work than what you do to read on a kindle. Using wifi or the kobo app would automatically put the kepub of any previously bought books on your device. Then it would just be the same situation as epub to azw3 for kindle.

And it isn't "aura's features" that you would be missing out on. You simply have two separate formats (that have their own way of doing things...some people like one, some the other....and of course some would rather combine options from both )
It is an issue for all kobo users and isn't restricted to aura. At the same time, there are still many options when simply using epubs that are not available to kindle....so it really depends on what is "necessary" for you personally...but trying to turn everything kepub is definitely not the only way.

Personally I use kepub when I have it from kobo and am happy with epub when I have it from somewhere else (ie: library loan). The only thing I miss on epub is the mins left to read feature of kepubs...and no one at kobo has ever said they won't implement that with epubs in the future...in fact, just the opposite, it was implied that that's where the future is headed.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

Edit: I see a lot of people did reply to your original post. Just one thing to add to something else you wrote....another post of yours that you want your books to be "liberated"...so you can still do that on the epub and use kepub if you prefer. Keep the liberated version epub in calibre and get the kepub directly from kobo (I believe calibre will see them as the same thing). Then you have your backup DRM-free on your PC for use as you please and get the features of kepub on your Kobo, if that's what you prefer.
Thank you for your very detailed response and help.
Is switching WIFI on Kobo ereader only way to get kepubs from Kobo? I have 3 different Kobo accounts in 3 different countries. And I prefer my reader not being on WIFI at all. That's what I do with Kindle...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote