View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #126
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'm sorry, but to me it's not really obvious to see any 'artifacts' on picture 5,6or 7.

I find the Jetbook is just as readable as recycled paper books! It's a little darker, and yes, a more white background is more pleasant to read, however I've spent 2 books, 3 study guides, and a good 40+ hours in total reading on the Jetbook with delight!
(though I mainly use it for PDF's).

When I compare it to my Sony PRS 505, and Astak EZReader Pro, both of which have one of the first e-ink screens, not the pearl screens (If I'm right), I see it's only marginally darker. But the blacks are much blacker on the Jetbook,than on any of the above 2 e-ink readers!
So the overall contrast to me, it looks about the same.

For indoor reading, and low light situations, ultimately,you will want the blacks of the Jetbook, and the whites of an E-ink screen. Unfortunately the 'perfect' screen does not really exist yet.
But even if, such a high contrast is not healthy for the eyes, when reading outside in sunlight,studio, or bright light environments.
The Jetbook (provided it had a black frame instead of a white one),would be a perfect device to read from under sunlight.
Most e-ink devices I have used, very similar to books, would burn out your eyeballs reading them in sunlight!

I find, even on a cloudy day, sitting with my back towards the window, having only the light of outside enter the room, is more than sufficient to read from both jetbook or e-ink. Regular e-ink may be a bit easier on the eyes for rainy days, office light or lower; but most of the time when it gets rainy and dark, I turn on a lightbulb anyway.

As far as muddy, I would not say the Jetbook is muddy. At least not in B&W mode.
In color, yes, the colors are somewhat muddy, especially when you are watching photo's where light colors mix (eg light green, orange and yellow with light blue and light purple; they kind of all look very similar on the jetbook).
The fuller colors (pure red, green or blue) are having better contrast ratio's, however they all appear pretty dark. Nothing a small driver improvement can't fix(or make better), however it'd take a long time to rewrite screen drivers to improve colors.

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-15-2012 at 11:31 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote