View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***more and more young people will "lose literacy" as encounters with any sort of "long form" text disappear in a onslaught of video and aural bombardment and interaction***

Yesterday morning, I'd have readily agreed with that, SensualPoet. Last night changed my mind completely.

My sixteen-year-old granddaughter's over at my place in France for a visit. I reckoned she was pretty much representative of her age group, judging by her FaceBook posts and text messages in some kind of odd jargon I can hardly understand. All phonetic, obscure abbreviations, no capitals and no punctuation.

Last night, she suddenly became dead silent on a lounger on my terrace. I noticed she was reading a YA paperback. After two or three hours, she toddled off to bed and I took a look at the book. It runs to well over 500 pages and a bookmark showed she was more than half way through. She'd been utterly absorbed while three or four handy computers lay idle. I also noticed that she was taking encouraging interest in my reader.

Maybe I misunderstood all along and was too qiuck to judge. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote