View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
The Lost Symbol -- WEIRD HAPPENING

I have no idea what Forum to put this into....

I ordered the Kindle edition of THE LOST SYMBOL by Dan Brown and started to read it earlier yesterday. In one of the opening chapters he gives the phone number for Peter Solomon who is a character in the book. Now, in all the years I have been reading novels I have often seen 555 numbers and other numbers that would lead to phone company messages and the like. This number was odd in that it looked, well, real. It was a number in the 202 (Washington, DC) area code. What the heck, I decided to call it.

I got Peter Solomon's answering machine. The message said it was full and could not take messages. It was a nice touch I thought.

Then early tonight I am reading on Dan Brown's site that if you decoded some complex symbology on the cover that 33 signed copied would be given away. And, another announcement said that the Quest Line was now open.

Well, I called again. Even though it was a phone number published "in the clear" and not requiring any decoding effort. This time the answering machine was not full. Instead I was invited to leave my call-back phone number. Which I did. About ten minutes later the phone rang. My wife picked it up and said, "It's for you. He says he is Peter Solomon."

I picked up the phone and was asked if this was the phone that called the number and where did I get the phone number? I was a little non-plussed, the voice sounded angry, annoyed. I said, well, it was published in Dan Brown's new book. Meanwhile I am thinking, "What's going on? I can't have been the only one to call?"

"Peter Solomon" explains he is a friend of Dan Brown's and is out of the country. The phone audio is going in and out, in and out, wavering like a satellite phone call. He says he can't believe it: "That ***** actually used my name and published my phone number???" So I say that's about the size of it while thinking that nooooo way is a major publisher going to let an author prank a friend. Are they??? And also, I mean the book sold a million copies the first day I simply can't be the only person who calls phone numbers in books. So I think of what it says on the web site.

I apologize but explain that I've always wanted to meet Dan Brown and it must be great to be his friend and I have just started the book but would love to get a signed copy. Well, the audio is fading in and out and I'm thinking either this is really a satellite call I could lose any minute or it's a pretty neat audio trick.

So "Peter Solomon" tells me that Dan Brown is going to give a lecture in a few days and gives me the name of the place and the time. Now, I don't think I should reveal that here. He also tells me to tell Dan Brown something for him which is a trifle insulting but which could well be a secret passphrase to identify myself. He says that "I'm sure Dan will have a free, signed copy for you."

I call again from two different phones. I ask three friends to call. No one else ever gets a callback.

So now I have to decide whether to board the dog, drive about five hours and go an unlisted lecture. My wife thinks that I am completely nuts.

I think I'm going to go though.....
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote