View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
kevin_boone
Enthusiast
kevin_boone began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleiton View Post
I've bought my Sony Reader a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. But a bug in the device is getting me nuts!

In EPUB files if a PHRASE wrotten inside a <PRE> tag (HTML) is larger than the device screen, the overflow becames hidden. It is annoying because, almost all books I've seen that talks about computer programming uses PRE tag to format Code Sections.
Ahh I've attached a file that shows the problem.
I can understand how irritating this must be, but it seems to me that the reader is doing the right thing, within its limitations. What you're asking it to do is to insert artificial line breaks within a <pre> section -- but the whole purpose of <pre> is so that the author controls the line breaking.

A web browser (well, Firefox, at least) also won't break a long line in the middle of a <pre> section. BUT with a web browser, you get horizontal scroll bar if the line won't fit on the screen -- effectively, the browser gives you a screen of infinite width. The PRS doesn't have a scroll bar, or anything the operate one with, so that approach won't work.

I suspect that, in the interests of usefulness, the PRS _should_ break a long line in a <pre> if it would otherwise not fit the screen. But doing this is `wrong', so far as formatting rules are concerned.
kevin_boone is offline   Reply With Quote