View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I have a Kobo, and yes it is great for library books. And the Kobo store has a good selection (of current books). But check the availability in your library of books you like.

Our library has many books I'd like to read but (for example) I am 17th on the waiting list for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. They have 10 copies, but each can be checked out for 3 weeks plus 4 days for the person to get the email and download it. And I'm sure many people don't even know you can return a book when you're done with it (in ePub format). So I will be waiting a while or coughing up the $7.99 plus HST that Kobo wants for it.

But I now have 10 unread books that I've borrowed from the library, bought, or downloaded for free (or near-free) so I'm not in dire straits yet!

I would guess that the price of the Kobo has to come down from $149 so you might want to wait a few weeks if that is your choice. (apparently it is $128 in Walmart in Canada; haven't seen it myself)
I don't think that many people borrow the ebooks in my library. It's a fairly small town, and I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only person in it that has an ereader.

If I buy the Kobo now and it comes down in price later, it wouldn't be that big of a deal for me.

I've heard people say that the Kobo is a bit sluggish. I tried it out in my local Borders and it didn't seem so. Maybe a bit slower than my Kindle, but not a problem. How's yours, performance wise? Do you have firmware v. 1.4, and did it change anything for you?
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote