View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #20
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The only reliable method that installs automatically without navigating menus and that works on all the kindles (DX, DXG, K3, K4, and K5 (touch) is being tested now. It uses a variation of the "ixtab" jailbreak that can lose all your data on the USB drive if you use a data.tar.gz for the wrong kindle model (which I think caused bricked kindles when people used a data.tar.gz for touch on a k4nt, or a data.tar.gz for a k4nt on a touch).

Because of the danger of using the wrong data.tar.gz, I am using it in a safe way that will work with all kindles, by replacing this payload file that must match the kindle model, with a "universal" payload that does different things depending on what model kindle it finds itself on when launched. When the code first begins running, any damage has already been done by replacing an important system file with the wrong version if the wrong data.tar.gz is used. By using a "universal" version, it can replace that system file for any model of kindle, which eliminates the danger from using the wrong version (as happens with current data.tar.gz installations).

I am testing my safe universal data.tar.gz payload VERY carefully. When ready to release, it will be very solid and reliable, and it will run a custom user-supplied RUNME.sh if it finds one on the USB drive.

This will install SSH into the diagnostic partition so that the diagnostics "Enable USBnet" works like it is supposed to (missing files will be replaced). It will also let you install an update key certificate (i.e. jailbreak), and developer keys (for kindlet apps). Even without installing SSH, it can push a reverse shell so you can get root access over USB to manually fix problems (similar to telnet, but with no command prompt displayed).

Because I decided to make a universal version instead of different versions for different kindle models, this has been a lot more difficult to test and to get exactly correct. I am cleaning up the code and simplifying it, and I am nearly ready to publish a preliminary version, which I hope to post to the original post in this thread later this evening.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-22-2012 at 10:51 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote