View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #50
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: 13" E-ink reader
Hallo, I'm a new user and I'm approaching right now to e-readers so I surfed many websites, blogs and forums to have some infos.
I would like to say my thoughts on the "big screen" subject.
I think that the assetions that there will be "no market" for bigger screen device doesn't make much sense for a simple reason. There are many specialized "objects" wich don't sell in millions copies and are targeted to a niche or specialized marked and they are produced from many vendors.
The assumption that there will be a smaller or specialized marked doesn't mean something should not be invested in and produced, at best it means that the price will be bigger.
This sounds like "don't produce Ferrari or Lamborghini because you won't sell millions" (or more affordable but very specialized non-luxury work tools) and makes no-sense.
We've seen dozens of vapourware/prototypes with big screens 12" or more (just think of the Skiff Reader), E-Ink already has 12.1" displays listed on his site, Bridgestone showed all sizes for his color paper, so the tech is ready, what is missing is just the production stage.
On every forum or blog about tablets/e-readers, I always found disappointed people looking for bigger screens that would allow them to read technical PDFs, newspaper or magazines (wich is not a so small niche after all) and I'm sure those guy will be glad to pay some $bucks more for what they neeed.
So I think the time would be right for the bigger vendors at least to put out some bigger (12"/13") dedicated e-reader to produce in smaller quantities and complete their e-book lines (6"/9.7"/13") with more "professional" stuff.
Just my 2 cents
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote