View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #68
deadpixel
deadpixel began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Hi deadpixel,
I'm butting in because my experience with the Story and firmware 1.71 seems to be the same as greenapples, in terms of formats.

1) ePub seems to work fine. Minor irritations are about choosing what font size to encode documents at, as the three zoom settings generally go from a) too small to be comfortable to b) slightly too big for the screen real estate to c) ridiculously oversized. This information - formatting specifications - should be available from iRiver, but isn't.

2) DOC files don't display well. On opening, the Story attempts to display the whole page (whether A4 or US Letter) on-screen at once. Zoom controls don't reflow the text, but zoom in on a rectangle in the centre of the page, and the text expands out all 4 sides of the screen. On each page, the text outside the edges of the screen in inaccessible.

3) PDFs reflow only if they are text-only and OCRd. PDFs with graphics just show a blank screen when zoomed or reflowed.

4) TXT files have a line-break inserted at character 51 across the screen, even if that's in the middle of a word or between a word and its following punctuation. The Story doesn't wrap TXT files to keep whole words together.

5) Zoom doesn't work in landscape mode.

I think they're the major issues for reading text. I haven't tried DJVU files, which is a new format introduced in this most recent version of the firmware, and I believe it doesn't handle comics (CBR files) very well either, but I don't have any I can check with.

I understand that versions of the firmware prior to this 1.71 did a better job with some of these issues, and that the latest release "broke" a few things; but it's the only version I've used, so I can't confirm that directly.

deadpixel, what format files do you use on your Story? Have you tried any of the others? What's your experience been?
MacEachaidh,

I'm on 1.71 and usually get my books in ePub or PDF. When I get a book in the other formats, I usually have them converted to ePub or PDF.

I've had time to try the formats you mention and am able to reproduce the issues you encountered, so I have to concur that iRiver really botched up this update; but I guess I've been quite oblivious to the issues as I've been reading my ebooks in nothing but ePub and PDF ever since the 1.71 update.
deadpixel is offline   Reply With Quote