Thread: Sony or iRiver?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #62
deadpixel
deadpixel began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
I've owned an iRiver for several months now and have been pretty happy with it. I don't have issues with glare on the screen whether indoors or out (this is the main reason I did not get the touchscreen Sony) and it supports most of the major file formats, no mobi though. Firmware updates are available quite frequently, adding new functionality and support for more file formats.

The iRiver doesn't support touch screen nor does it support WiFi but I've never had an issue with these as its navigation keys are pretty responsive and intuitive and loading books via its USB interface is really straightforward ... well, not had an issue that is until I saw the BeBook Neo (also available in some markets as the Onyx Boox 60). I've just completed placing an order for a Boox.

Wacom is THE leader in graphics tablet and tablet style touchscreen technology. I own many of their products which I use for photo editing. The introduction of its technology to eBooks is interesting because it gives me the ability to annotate my eBooks and do sketches and yet not have to suffer from glare on the screen or worry about my stylus wearing the screen out; the Wacom touchscreen layer lies beneath the eInk layer and signals are transmitted to the sensor from the pen through the lightest touch of the pen's tip on the screen. This technology is completely different from the one in Sony's touchscreen eBook.

The support for WiFi and their built in web browser also means that I'd be able to read news in WiFi enabled areas and also download content. I believe some early testers of the Boox (the Neo doesn't seem to be available yet) have reported success in purchasing online books?

Checkout the posts about the Onyx Boox 60 in this forum or view the many videos posted on YouTube.

Cheers
deadpixel is offline   Reply With Quote