Thread: Punctuation
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
In my experience, there are two common styles. One is to use em dashes—but without spaces—for interrupting text, and the other is to use en dashes – but with spaces – for interrupting text.
That's my impression too, though not being a native English speaker/reader I might be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Since some readers don't recognise either form of dash as a word-boundary, I prefer spaced en-dashes to prevent awkward line-breaks.
Exactly my situation as well, I started using space-endash-space in my books because the mobi reader in my Cybook did not break at em-dashes.

Now I find the opposite situation in Adobe's ePUB engine: it breaks at em-dashes, which is wrong in Spanish typography, where dashes are typically spaced only on one side (the "outer" side), and line breaks are only allowed at the spaces.

Oh... ellipses I don't use, because I prefer dots separated by non-breaking spaces en English, and just three dots in Spanish. As for entities, I use them (instead of the unicode characters) when I can't easily enter them with my keyboard configuration, or when they are not clearly identifiable in monospaced fonts.

Last edited by Jellby; 04-13-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote