View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #49
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I heard that things are explained in the last book The Rise of Endymion but that thw two last books was not worth reading.
I read all four and found them absolutely worth reading.

Hyperion was a tour de force, with an inspired reworking of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales as the various folks on the way to see the Shrike tell their stories.

And Simmons structures his books like layers of an onion: as you read them, layers are peeled away, and you discover things aren't at all what you thought they were.

Every few years, SF seems to manifest a big series chock full of ideas that become a high water mark. Back in the 70's, that accolade went to William Gibson's "Sprawl" series, _Neuromancer_, _Count Zero_, and _Mona Lisa Overdrive_. I'd call David Brin's "Uplift" series another such, with Simmons' Hyperion and Endymion next, and Peter Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy following that.

I'm way behind, so I'm not sure what is out there currently that might fall into that category. Nominations, anyone?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote