View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #41
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I'm guessing - just guessing, mind you - from the context that "state" means more of government control. One way communication, sort of.
I'm not a native English speaker, and in my language we don't really differentiate between the two this way. IF we were to do so, I would say "country" would be more of the geographical description and "state" would be more about how it is run/administrated.
In English too state and country are usually synonyms so I wish again that I had the original Japanese text here to see what was really intended.

I too guess that he is saying he wishes he lived in a country rather than a state that wished to conquer and expand the so-called east asia pacific co-operation sphere. The empire of Japan was always interested in taking over Korea but they went much farther in WWII. I think the statement says he wishes that Japan was happy with what it had but the US was embargoing their oil and Japan doesn't have any domestic supply so they attacked China. Classic resource problem though Japan never really needed oil until they were forced to open up to western trade by the Black Ships...
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote