View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #15546
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Well, I finished Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A Heinlein. "The most famous SF novel of all time" according to its cover.

I must say I didn't think much of it. Indeed, for about 50 pages, two-thirds of the way in, I thought it was the worst book I'd ever read..........SNIP...........
If anyone can begin to explain why this is so well-regarded, I'd like to hear it.
Thanks to the Internet I've been able to re-live a lot of my past... Movies that I thought were fantastic, TV shows I waited breathlessly for each week, etc. And unfortunately, most did NOT stand well the test of time. When I read 'Stranger' 30+ years ago, I thought it was amazing! I just re-read it a few months ago and had to fight my way through it. Same with "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle.." life-changing when it first came out, but when I re-read it last year, I wondered what was all the fuss about?

We change. Times change. Ya gotta go with the flow. Sgt. Bilko is no longer funny. The Fonz is no longer 'cool.' (Well, maybe just a little.)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote