View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
gshoe
gshoe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gshoe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gshoe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Letter to McMillan

Hi,

I am new to this forum and a recently new owner of the Nook. I just thought I would share an email I sent to McMillan this morning. It would not be a bad idea for other concerned folks to do the same. Thanks!

Hello,

I wish to express my profound disappointment in your insistence that retailers raise the price on your eBooks. I think your decision is very short sighted and particularly offensive to your end customers. We are not stupid here. We understand that the digital delivery of a book is a fraction of what it costs to print and distribute a traditional book. $9.99 already seems to be a premium for a small file and the intellectual property it contains. This smacks of greed and opportunism. Especially in todays economic climate, it paints your company in a bad light.

I just recently purchased a Nook, and it has greatly enhanced my desire to read. I have purchased 8 books in 3 weeks and have read the majority of them already. This probably totals the number of books that I read in the past year. The ereader experience is different than that of books. Because of the nature of the device, I am more apt to pick it up and take it with me anytime I will have a few minutes of down time. The size, form and function makes reading easier in bed or even at the dinner table. What I am trying to say is that ereader owners will read more. I am sure of it. And, as they get more mainstream, your profits will surely rise.

I understand that companies often live and die by their gross sales dollars. This industry must sacrifice that thinking and look at gross profit dollars and should really push the advantages of ereading.

Please reconsider your strategy. I for one will be avoiding your titles until you see the light.

Best regards,

Greg Shoemaker
gshoe is offline   Reply With Quote