View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
hmm. i don't have any crash problems with the kobo app. but i agree with you, there's very little customization or functionality to their reader, even less than apple's ibook. and their store is far better looking and functional than itunes for browsing books, plus a much larger selection. best of all, you can download their books in multiple formats, epub, pdf, mobi, rtf, depending on the book. buying from mobi you can download and read on both your ipad and ipod, and any other device you might have. can't do that with apple's offering. kobo's prices are just as competitive as apple and amazon's as well.

amazon kindle - best selection, almost the best on prices as well. reader app is ok. no 3rd party book support (unless you email yourself mobi documents). proprietary format. supported on multiple platforms. sync between platforms.

apple ibooks - smallest selection. good prices. reader app is decent. import drm-free ePub documents. apple's own fairplay protected books can't be exported. ipad platform only (can't even read the books on your mac). no sycing between platforms.

kobo books - good selection. competitive prices. app is decent, looks good, but bare-bottom in customization. best format support. best platform support. app doesn't sync between platforms, but you can usually download different formats from their web site. app doesn't import any other documents.

watt pad - low selection. good prices (from free to expensive). app looks horrible. minimal functions. minimal customization. more like an ipod app quickly ported to the ipad. various formats on web site, including drm-free epub. app doesn't import, only downloads from their web site.

my advice, get ibooks, kindle, and kobo. no reason you can't have all three. when purchasing books i always choose kobo first if available, then it's a toss-up between kindle and apple.

Last edited by scottjl; 04-08-2010 at 10:38 AM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote