View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #15031
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Some would say all SF...

Seriously, though, there is a kind of family-friendliness in a lot of older SF & F which means it can easily be read by younger readers even if not specifically aimed at them. That's how most of us got into it, I suspect.

I read Moon is a Harsh Mistress maybe ten years ago, and didn't think much of it at all. I still have two Heinleins to read this year to complete my Hugo list, and based on past experience I think I will enjoy Double Star and struggle with Stranger in a Strange Land.
I'm sure some would say that, but they'd be wrong.

The other issue particularly with older SF is whether it holds up over time. (probably the same can be said of any fiction -- that's what over time results in 'classics' eh.)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote