View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #247
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
They should sue. I don't think IP owners have a case myself -- and if they thought they could they would.
My comment wasn't intended as a snark saying that iOS had 'cloned' Palm OS, just exactly what I said: that Palm OS is rarely brought up in these discussions, which tend to focus on the history of phones pre-iPhone.

PDAs like the Palm OS devices and the Pocket PC devices like the iPaq are the real prior art for modern smartphones.

Regarding litigation, Palm no longer exists to do any suing, having been bought by HP. Presumably any Palm OS patents were transferred to HP, but by then they'd developed their new system, webOS. There's been speculation on whether HP have grounds for litigation within those ex-Palm patents, but I'd agree with you that unless something amazingly generic had been granted it's likely that there's no serious infringement within iOS or Android.

Graham