Thread: Kobo vs Nook
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... wifi and 3g would be pointless ...

Really? You don't go to your local large bookstore every couple of weeks? None of your favorite restaurants or municipalities offer free WiFi? (Just asking out loud ... )

>> ... would the Kobo do as I mentioned above?

You are a more sophisticated eReader than I am. I just know that when I turn on my Kobo, a list of all my books on the device are there alphabetically ... and when I go to the DOCS page, all my files I have loaded onto my SD card are there alphabetically. Others here will address this for you!

>> ... syncs to BB, although I read here it doesn't to storm yet ...

Please view / search the Kobo forum - there's a particular model/series of Blackberry that is "at fault" regarding Bluetooth connectivity.

>> ... Nook's colour cover flow ... touchscreen ...

Ahh, yes - those battery-eating features ... (grin)

>> ... Nook ... page turn buttons on either side of screen ...

I thought that I, as a left-handed person the past 50+ years, would find my Kobo "lacking" when it came to this feature. I see my wife using her Kindle2 with either hand ... But to be honest with you, the Kobo is just fine me.

>> ... Nook's faster page turns ...

Yes, if you sit there wil a stopwatch, there are more milliseconds in a Kobo page turn than with some other eReaders. But in reality - while doing something unique like READING a book - you get into a "flow" and find your eyes moving ahead on that last line of text on the bottom of the page ... push the button ... and easily flow to the next page.

It is different comparing two eReaders' page turning capabilities when sitting them side-by-side on a table and just measuring the page turning time. But I can easily and without irritation read books on either a Kindle2 or a Kobo.

You don't need Nook's connectivity ... and you'll appreciate the lighter weight of the Kobo. Nook has a easy-to-replace battery - cost right now is US$29.95. For half that amount, I have a Square Trade warranty for three years, which will cover a battery replacement, if I need it.

Long live Kobo.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote