View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Count me as another who is not a Stephen King fan.

I have enormous respect for him. He is arguably the best at what he does. You can make a case that Stephen King is responsible for Horror being broken out as a separate publishing category. (And I understand he was urged by an agent early on to branch out, and avoid being typecast as a horror writer. His response was roughly "So? That's fine by me! Horror is what I want to write!")

But I don't care for King (or Koontz, Straub, Barker or the rest) because the emotions horror is designed to induce are not ones I like to feel. My SO reads Horror, and occasionally comments "That was a scary book!" And I've no doubt it was, but being scared has never been something I liked or wanted to feel deliberately.
______
Dennis
The Stand is not just a scary book. If you think all he writes is "scary", then I don't think you've read enough of his books. A lot of his books are more than "scary" although some are just plain "scary" ( Pet Cemetery ).

To me The Stand is on par with adventures like The Lord of Rings. It's almost like a biblical story. The biggest things I took away from the book were hope and faith, not just in God but in humankind.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote