View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #646
rynax
rynax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Depends on your file system and file system options.

It is also not restricted to Linux, any **disk based** operating system will "brick" if it runs out of disk space. ANY!

Linux, true to its heritage of Unix, "boots" (actually, system IPL) under the supervisor's username 'root'.
Any *nix related file system will have an area (percentage) of disk space reserved for 'root', so that the username 'root' can recover the system from "out of disk space" situations.

The system administrator (You) can defeat this by:
Running everything as the supervisor 'root' -
Optioning the file system so that space is not reserved for 'root' -
Running the system with a non-*nix file system (which does not implement the concept of a 'reserved area').

A for simple instance of #1 :
lab126 implemented the Kindle system with nearly everything running as username 'root' (a really bad idea) (tm) ;
Many other embedded linux systems make the same (simplistic) choice, likely to be the root (no pun intended) of your NAS problems.

If you don't believe that above ANY!
Fill up the entire disk of your M$-Windows box, see how long it lasts; no cheating, don't allow a dynamically sized swap file/disk.
I know any system has such problem and limitations.
I love Linux in many ways.
I just say the truth: many people's Kindle bricked because the partition been filled up. At least I have two Kindles bricked because of this and saw many in other peoples' hands. And my NAS died too because of this. Under both of the situation, well I can't see you can use root to recover it. You need to boot another system to save it,.
Windows box could have same problem, but I've never experienced any windows box failed to boot to the desktop/restore point because out of space.Actually my windows server 2008 R2 has 0 left on C and it still boots, maybe it's because the thing you mentioned, dynamic swap files etc. I'm not saying windows or any other thing is better than Linux, note.

Last edited by rynax; 10-06-2012 at 08:20 AM.
rynax is offline   Reply With Quote